Covers & Cocktails Giveaway: Chimera’s Fire
|
Wednesday, August 3, 2016
It’s August and I’m just counting down the days until fall reaches New England. But I’m grateful for one thing this summer and that’s Sourcebooks Casablanca blessing me with A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet. Seriously, this book is so good and it’s – without a doubt – the best book I’ve read this year. You’ll get a full dose of my squeeing soon, I promise.With one look at the cover, I knew I wanted do something with Fireball – a cinnamon whiskey that is the culprit for 100% of my hangovers. Fire plays big role in the story as people are throwing fire magic around left and right. There’s also a dragon. But just as Fireball makes me hate myself in the morning, the heroine Cat has a huge dose of self-loathing. It was a match made in hangover heaven! Also, I’d like to note how simple this recipe is. Three ingredients, tops.
Cat, while tough and badass, is really just longing to be loved. As much as she denies it, she craves human contact because boy…this woman has had it pretty rough. I wanted to counteract the bite of the cinnamon with some sweetness, so I chose cider. But I wanted a cider that would keep that cinnamon or spicy feel. Not too sweet, please! And because I have a deep love of boozy fruit, I trawled the local farmer’s market, praying for apples. It’s not quite apple season here yet, so the pickings were slim and when I couldn’t find my favorite apple (Honeycrisp, if you’re wondering), I took what I could get.
The result is very reminiscent of a warm, cinnamon apple pie, though with a little bit of a kick at the end of each sip. The drink is named Chimera’s Fire after a form of magic in the book. It’s often used to imbue arrows in the book. Once the arrow hits you, it sears your skin right off. It’s a perfect analogy. While A Promise of Fire has its sweet moments, it’s not afraid to give you a swift punch in the gut with feels or with fireballs that melt people’s faces off – literally.
Also, we have a giveaway! Big thanks to Sourcebooks Casablanca for offering up five (5) copies to give away!
Plus, the Kingmaker Chronicles website has excerpts if you want to get a peek at chapter one and wallpapers if you’re in love with the cover like I am.
Ingredients - Fireball, hard cider, and an apple
Shopping list
Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey
Hard cider
Apples (optional)
Proportions:
2 shots of Fireball
One bottle of cider
One small apple, sliced for garnish
Modifications and notes:
I used a bottled cider. If you used cider that is canned, you might want to only use one shot of Fireball.
Also, depending on how much you like cinnamon, you can use more or less Fireball. I found that two shots is perfect for me. You can definitely taste it, but it’s not overwhelming.
As I mentioned before, I used a spiced cider – Angry Orchard’s Apple Ginger. Some other great spiced ciders are Woodchuck’s Fall Harvest (seasonal), Bantam’s Americain, Angry Orchard’s Cinnful Apple (seasonal), and Downeast’s Winter Blend (seasonal).
For some bubbles, ginger ale is a good mixer!
A Chimera's Fire with a copy of A Promise of FireNow to the best part! We have five (5) copies of A Promise of Fire up for grabs!
All you have to do to enter is leave a comment and tell us what sort of magical abilities you’d like to have! Lightning bolts from your eyes? Telepathic communication? Stop time for endless naps? The giveaway will end Sunday, August 7, 2016 at noon, EST, so get your comments in before then!
Standard disclaimers apply. We are not being compensated for this giveaway. Void where prohibited. Open to US/Canadian residents where permitted by applicable law. Must be over 18. Please control any laser beams you may have – we don’t need a Cyclops snafu on our hands. Keep cool and hydrated! We won’t be held responsible for any singed or charred articles of clothing and/or furniture. Any children with magic should be closely monitored. edit

No comments:
Post a Comment